Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Blue Light and the Baxter Hotel

I've been taken in by so many charming elements of Bozeman, but if I had to choose my favorite thing in town it would be the blue light on the Baxter Hotel.

From City of Bozeman Resolution No. 4229:
WHEREAS, the “Hotel Baxter” roof sign exhibits a unique character that can easily be described as one of the most significant visual icons in the Main Street Historic District and contributes to the entire community, and the blue light on the sign’s structural supports also contributes to the community, and the freestanding pole sign’s Victorian style contributes to the Italian Renaissance architecture of the building.

The blue light shines whenever 2 or more inches of snow fall on Bridger Bowl. I love the idea that a town could be so committed to powder that the blue light would be considered a core contribution to community life. Somehow, this seems completely logical to me. Connections made over pow turns, lift rides, and long skin tracks have led to the community I have built over the last 10 years. Though I seem to wander across the map, friends made in the heart of winter have stayed with me. So even if I'm heading to the hospital more than the ski hill, seeing the blue light shining on the top of the Baxter Hotel warms me with thoughts of friends and past and future adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment